Cape Cod Canal Region Chamber of Commerce
For Immediate Release
November 18, 2017
Contact: Marie Oliva, President & CEO, 508-759-6000 X12
Buzzards Bay Railroad Station Gets a Lift
BUZZARDS BAY - A celebration was held today to commemorate the refurbishment of the Buzzards Bay Railroad Station, 70 Main Street, Buzzards Bay that consisted of a grant from the Town of Bourne in the amount of $120,000. This historic conservation project included beautiful painted murals and historic photos, repainting, new lights and restroom fixtures, a custom made desk displaying a map made of wood and resin of the canal region, and brochure racks. Thanks goes to the Community Preservation Committee and Bourne Historical Commission who supported the project that ultimately was approved by the Bourne Town Meeting.
Originally known as Cohasset Narrows, the station was built as part of the Cape Cod Branch Railroad in 1848. Its name was changed to Buzzards Bay in 1879 by the Old Colony Railroad who had acquired the line in 1872 with a merger of the Cape Cod Railroad.
The present station building was constructed in 1912. Prior to the opening of the Cape Cod Canal in 1916, Buzzards Bay was located on what was then the north bank of the Monument River at a junction of the main railroad line between Middleborough and Cape Cod and the branch to Woods Hole. The Woods Hole Branch crossed the river slightly west of what is now the Cape Cod Canal Railroad Bridge, while the Cape Cod main line continued along the north side of the river before crossing where the river narrowed at Bourne. The Monument River was converted into the Cape Cod Canal, which opened in 1916. The Cape Cod Main Line and junction were moved to the south side of the canal, which was later widened in the 1930s.
Sen. Vinny DeMacedo, Rep. David Vieira, Bourne Selectmen Don Pickard and Stephen Mealy and several representatives from both committees attended the ceremony. The artwork throughout the building was painted by local artisan Katherine Hallam of Whimsical Notions, Gray Gables, and the architectural drawings by Anthi Frangiadis Associates of Marion. Both donated their services to the Chamber.
Marie Oliva emphasized: “This was truly a community effort supporting the Cape Cod Canal Region Chamber. Now our visitor center is a more attractive and inviting place for 25,000 visitors annually. We appreciate the support from all the committees and the town that made this happen.”