Lorna has worked at the Cape Cod Canal Region Chamber's visitor center and knows all the best places and things to do in the area. On the map below are some frequent recommendations for visitors. Whether you are new to the area or looking for something new to do this list will have something for you!
“Lorna’s Picks” By Lorna Ciavola , Visitor Center Information Specialist
From the bustling Sandwich Boat Basin, to the Victorian Village of Onset, the shores of the Historic Cape Cod Canal offer visitors and residents alike a sampling of the best of Cape Cod.
Sea breezes, seagull serenades, majestic sailing ships, breathtaking sunsets and the haunting sounds of a distant train whistle will greet you as you explore this beautiful region. It is a pleasure to share some of my favorite attractions with you. Enjoy and don’t forget your Camera!
• The Cape Cod Canal Visitors Center (US Army Corps of Engineers) 60 Ed Moffitt Drive, Sandwich, MA 02563 (508) 833-9678 Free interpretive programs, films detailing The Cape Cod Canal’s History, explore a retired canal patrol boat and talk with Park Rangers.
• The Aptucxet Trading Post Museum 24 Aptucxet Road, Bourne, MA 02532 (508) 759-8167 Go back in time to where the early settlers first traded with local Native Americans. Located along the Cape Cod Canal’s West End there are picnic tables and access to the canal service road for walking, biking and fishing. Don’t miss The Hand Carved, pedal powered Carousel located inside The Windmill!
• The National Marine Life Center & Marine Animal Discovery Center 120 Main Street, Buzzards Bay, MA 02532 (508) 743-9888 Caring for stranded, sick & injured Turtles and Seals, the center offers educational programs, exhibits, arts, crafts and closed circuit viewing of hospital patients. Open daily from Memorial Day to Labor Day! Free Admission.
• The Cape Cod Central Railroad 252 Main Street, Hyannis, MA 02601 (508) 827-6990 Ride the rails on a fact filled, narrated scenic train ride aboard a beautifully appointed, air-conditioned passenger car. The Canal Excursion Train even takes you on an unforgettable journey over the Cape Cod Canal via the Historic Buzzards Bay Railroad bridge!
• Hy-Line Cape Cod Canal Cruises 184 Onset Avenue, Onset MA 02558 (508) 790-7280 Set sail aboard “The Viking” for an informative cruise on the historic Cape Cod Canal. An affordable family activity, snack bar and restrooms on board. Kids ride FREE at 4pm!
• Sunset at Monument Beach Emmons Road (off Shore Road) Monument Beach, MA 02553 End your day by enjoying a spectacular sunset from the sands of Monument Beach in Bourne. Guaranteed to make a memory that will last a lifetime!
Copyright Cape Cod Canal Region Chamber. All Rights Reserved. 70 Main Street, Buzzards Bay 02532, MA Phone: (508) 759-6000 | firstname.lastname@example.org | sitemap